Wednesday, July 3, 2013

GIS Programming, Lab 6: Explore & Manipulate Spatial Data

This week definitely tested my sanity! We had to write a script that created a new file geodatabase, copied all the files from our data folder and pasted them, in correct format, into the new .gdb and then create a blank dictionary and then populate it with the names and population of the cities that are categorized as "County Seats."  The toughest hurdle I had was figuring out how to insert the list variable into the print message.  Of course, it was a simple fix and was the ONE option I did not try.  I also struggled with the searchCursor. 

Screenshot of the results of my script - created new gdb, copied the files and printed the cities/populations.

With the help from the instructors and TA's I was able to figure out the issues I was encountering and move forward.  I have had very little experience with programming in my past and am finding it difficult to grasp, but hopefully in the (near) future, things will start clicking.

No comments:

Post a Comment