Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Cartographic Skills, Lab 10: Flow Maps



In this weeks lab, we learned about Flow Maps.  Above is an example using the U.S. Immigration totals in 2007.  This was a fun lab, in that I had a lot of artistic freedom and learned about some of the different visual effects that AI has to offer.  In this map, the flow line width is proportional to the total immigration from that continent in 2007.  This was figured out by using an equation and data collected by the U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security.  

We had two base maps to choose from and I selected the option which allowed me to move the continents around.  I decided on this one because it allowed the flow lines to be more direct rather than dipping, diving, ducking and dodging other continents.  I made the U.S. (continental) the center of focus because, after all, we are talking about the U.S. immigration totals.

As far as the effects that I decided to use go, I decided to go with a drop shadow, inner glow and round corners.  With the flow lines themselves, I used a drop shadow and an inner glow.  For the continents and U.S. map, I also used a drop shadow.  Doing so creates a more dramatic figure - ground contrast.  For the last effect, I decided to round the corners of the U.S. map neatline and the border around the state immigration legend.  

Overall, I feel like the added effects might be a bit much.  I like the, less is more approach.  At times, I found myself feeling like it was getting too hokey.   The lab, however, allowed me to at least learn about my options.



No comments:

Post a Comment