Wednesday, May 15, 2013

GIS Programming, Lab 1: Intro to Python


Starting a new semester, my first lab of GIS Programming was a basic introduction to the Python programming language.  It is a more basic and easier to use language than something like C++ or Visual Basic.  It allows users to express code in fewer lines and commands.  Our first experience was using the interface PythonWin.  Opening the previously written script and running the program created folders for this class for the entire semester.  In one quick click - this was created.


As you can see, located in the S: drive, a folder named GISProgramming was created.  Inside that folder, additional folders were created to contain all of the work for the next 12 weeks.  

I have little experience with programming and the experience I did have was not a pleasant one.  I am encouraged, however, that Python is simpler than C++.  I look forward to having a more enjoyable experience with Python and using it in my future GIS career.

No comments:

Post a Comment